The Garland Fire Department is always accepting applications for potential members. There are times we may not have openings, but we will keep your application on file and could contact you when openings become available.
The Garland Paid On Call firefighter:
- Responds to alarms of structure, vehicle or grass fires, traffic accidents, CO and fire/smoke alarms, medical incidents and many other emergencies.
- Reports to and follows company officer’s instructions.
- Performs duties as outlined in firefighting procedure for the suppression of fires such as: laying of lines, raising of ladders, ventilation, forcible entry, etc.
- Performs such other duties in line of rescue or first aid as required to include extrication of victims from vehicles, confined space or other rescue emergencies.
- Assumes certain responsibility for servicing and maintenance of fire equipment.
- When assigned and certified, will drive certain fire apparatus.
- When required complete fire and medical reports for calls.
- Maintains fire station and grounds and facilities.
- Operates many different types of fire and medical equipment proficiently.
- May conduct training and instructional programs as part of weekly training.
- May assume command of the fire or emergency in the absence of an officer.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must live in the Garland City limits or Garland’s fire area of jurisdiction.
- Read and speak English.
- Pass a background check.
- Valid US Drivers License.
- Before responding on calls for service, members must be as a minimum, Utah Fire I certified, which includes Hazmat Awareness & Hazmat Operations and be certified as a minimum EMT Basic shortly after joining the department.
The Garland Fire Department will provide or pay for training required for new personnel. Additional training to further your skill set at Garland Fire is also available at no cost to personnel.
Members are paid an hourly wage on a per call basis for their service. Members are required to attend at least 70% of weekly drills in a quarter. Drill is Thursday evening at 6:30pm.
Pick up an application at the city offices. Fill out the application and you can return it to the Garland City offices or scan it and email it to the department at email@example.com
If you have any questions you about joining the Garland Fire Department you can contact on of the following officers with questions.
- Chief Rob Johnson – 435-230-4450
- Battalion Chief Steve Harrington – 435-452-1952
- Battalion Chief Alan Anderson – 435-279-4460